One of the best parts of attending Albany Preschool is joining a community of engaged and active parents. Through participation and our thriving co-op model, you will get to know other families and children well over your time here. The following is a list of responsibilities for participating in our school.
1. Classroom participation: For a 5 day/week morning schedule, one adult per family participates 1 morning per week. For a 3 day/week morning schedule, participation is one morning every other week. Participation shifts are 8:45 am – 12:40 pm. Participation is not required in the PM program.
2. Family job: Each family chooses or is assigned a family job for the year. Family jobs vary widely and include jobs such as gardening, laundry, pet care, school maintenance, fundraising, coordinating classroom activities, giving tours of the school to prospective families, etc. Time commitment varies for each job, but they average around 40 hours per school year.
3. Attend monthly parent meetings. Currently held on the 2nd Wednesday of each month (subject to change with each new school year or with a holiday adjustment) we have an adults-only meeting to discuss preschool happenings, or host special speakers related to child development and safety. 1 adult from each family is required to attend, meetings last approximately 1.5 hours. Each family provides drinks or snacks to one of the monthly parent meetings.
4. Attend a Saturday work party at the school. Once per year, one adult from each family attends a 4 hour work party where we do big clean-up or building projects, and maintenance of the school. There are 3 Saturdays to choose from, and 2 time slots on each day.
5. Spring Fair. The Spring Fair is held annually in Memorial Park. It is our largest and most exciting fundraiser of the year. We ask all families to contribute by donating time in some way to this fundraiser.
6. Orientation. Attend a parent orientation at the beginning of the school year. All participating adults are required to attend.
7. Optional opportunities to participate beyond the requirements above are plentiful! You can attend your child’s birthday celebration at school, and join us for potlucks, special celebrations, and community visitors to the school.