At Albany Preschool, children are treated with respect and direct their own play activities in a rich, varied environment. Professional staff and parents work together to create a child-centered program addressing the varied physical, cognitive, social, and emotional needs of the children. Each day, children experience self-directed play in a supportive and non-judgmental environment. As they explore and engage with their world, children gain confidence in their growing abilities. This learning is enhanced through conversations with other children and caring, involved adults. The role of the teachers is to provide a learning environment that is both challenging and nurturing.
As a cooperative community of learners, Albany Preschool recognizes the importance of ongoing education for its adult members. Parent education, staff development, and parent involvement facilitates this learning. Adults and kids alike work, play, and learn.
Albany Preschool Program Intentions:
- Provide a fun place where children can develop and learn at their own pace.
- Expand the emotional, intellectual, and physical ability of children through play-based exploration and experimentation.
- Guide children away from dependence on adult directions, and toward confidence in their own ability to make choices and set sensible limits for themselves.
- Maintain a safe environment where the emotional and physical well-being of each child is paramount.
- Develop mutual respect and cooperation among children, participating parents, and teachers.
- Maintain a high regard for the creative thinking process of each child.
- Respect the cultural richness of the school and encourage parents and children to share their own special family traditions.
- Weave literacy and early math activities throughout the curriculum.
- Promote friendship, fantasy, laughter and encourage creativity in child’s play.
- Explore the process of making art and promote the joy of art appreciation.
Benefits for the Children:
- Have fun and make friends.
- Grow more independent and capable.
- Explore and satisfy natural curiosity.
- Experience learning as a joyful, open ended process.
- Develop physical skills with a wide variety of toys and equipment.
- Learn to share and take turns.
- Build self-esteem.
- Respect the school environment.
Benefits for the Parents:
- Gain confidence in the parent-teacher role (as a parent, you are your child’s first and most important teacher).
- Look at school challenges as positive opportunities for self-growth rather than as problems to be solved or avoided.
- See your child as a unique and capable individual.
- Make friends with other families who also value play based learning.
A Strong Sense of Community:
Building and sustaining community is a cornerstone in Albany Preschool’s philosophy. There are numerous community-building events within our school including the monthly co-op meetings, weekly playdates, monthly get-togethers, holiday potlucks, outings, Night Out. Albany Preschool strengthens community beyond its doors by hosting the annual Spring Fair, a beloved Albany community event.